Space Heater Safety
Recent cold weather temperatures over the past several weeks have prompted Department Officials to issue pre-cautionary statements regarding the use of space heaters. In more than one instance heaters have been placed too close to combustible materials, in one case causing significant damage to one family’s home. “The family escaped from the home just moments after their smoke detector sounded the alarm,” according to Fire Chief Joey Tanner.
Officials urge the following safety tips when using portable space heaters:
- Keep combustible materials at least 3 feet away from heaters.
- Never refill liquid fueled heaters while the heater is hot or inside your home.
- Never use gasoline inside the home.
- Never use charcoal inside the home.
- Install a Carbon-monoxide detector in your home to alert you when deadly CO gas accumulates.
If you need additional information, please call us at 843-545-4200.